Important Stretches to Aid Pain Relief and Strengthen Your Body
Dr. Steve Sweeney has been proud to be your premier chiropractor in Midwest City OK for many years. He believes that the best chiropractic care requires a combination of manual therapy, like chiropractic adjustments, as well as active therapy, which includes stretches and exercises performed by the patient. Stretching is particularly effective for back pain relief in Oklahoma City. Why? These types of exercises can improve a person's range of motion, enhance spinal alignment, detoxify the body, promote increased circulation, and maximize the effectiveness of adjustments and other chiropractic services.
The Best Stretches For Back Pain Relief
As part of his plan to help his patients find lasting and drug-free solutions to their symptoms, Dr. Sweeney and his team are proud to offer the following educational videos highlighting some of the best stretches for back pain relief you can try at home:
1. Basic Back Stretches
This first series of exercises focuses on improving the stability of your spine. To begin these exercises, start on your back with your feet flat on the ground.
- Pelvic Tilt: Breathe in. As you exhale, flatten your lower back against the floor. Hold for a second, then release.
- Supine Bridge: Breathe in. As you exhale, press through your heels, lifting your buttocks into the air. Hold for a second, then release.
- Knees-to-chest: Brace your abs. Bring one knee, then the other knee, into your chest, and hold behind the thighs. Gently pull the knees toward your chest as you exhale. You can do these one leg at a time, as well.
- Supine Twist: Straighten one leg flat. Bring your other knee across your body, toward the opposite shoulder. Keeping your shoulders on the floor, use the opposite hand to knee to gently pull the knee into a deeper stretch. Hold for a moment, then release. You can advance this movement by lifting both feet in their air with your knees bent toward your chest and holding your arms out in a T. .
2. Yoga Back Stretches
Release your back pain and stiffness with some of these favorite stretches from your typical yoga class. Movements include child's pose and cat/camel.
3. Back Strengthening Exercises
Your back musculature needs to be flexible yet strong at the same time. Build up your paraspinals, abdominals, iliopsoas and other crucial postural muscles with exercises like the superman and bird-dog.
4. Back Strengthening Exercises with a Stability Ball
For advanced strengthening of your lower back, try walk outs and the bird-dog movement using a large stability ball. This challenges your balance as well as your core strength.
Call Sweeney Chiropractic near Oklahoma City Today for More Chiropractic Care!
Do you need help managing your back pain? Call our chiropractic clinic near Oklahoma City today at (405) 672-4800 to schedule your initial consultation or to learn more about natural and drug-free chiropractic care techniques.